We hope that you have found what you are looking for on the Cardigan Sand & Gravel site. If you have finished exploring our site, you may want to visit one of the sites below.
General InterestSpecifications - Bricks & Paving - Environmental Management - Building Control & Regulations - Architecture & Surveying - Professional Bodies - Heritage & Traditional Materials - Volume Producers - Trade Publications - Equestrian
- Accelerated Compost - small scale smallholding, industrial or commercial composting. Process 50-litres to 7000-litres food and/or garden waste. We approve of the concept.
- British Standards Institution
British Standards Online gives access to all British, European and International standards published by the BSI. The site includes over 38,500 current, draft and historic British Standards. A subscription is required for full access.
- Sports Turf Research Institute
The STRI is an international centre of excellence for the turfgrass and amenity industry sector. It is an independent organisation supported by the UK's main sports governing bodies, and is the UK's recognised authority for the testing of turfgrass for the sports and amenity market.
- Design Manual for Roads and Bridges
The Highways Agency Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (part of Standards for Highway Works) is available here, free of charge, in a series of Adobe Acrobat Portable Document Format (PDF) files.
- Standards for Highway Works
The latest June 2001 edition on CD-ROM, supersedes Feruary 2001 issue. Priced at £150, it contains DMRB Vols 1-15, MCDHW Vols 0-6, TRRM Vols 1-3, and also Routine maintenance management system (RMMS). Note that the DMRB is freely available online (see previous link).
- Water Industry Specifications (WIS)
The full WIS and IGN (Industry Guidance Notes), as well as CESWI (Civil Enginering Specs for the Water Industry) are available to order from the Water + Environment Bookshop..
The Building Research Establishment, owned by the the Foundation for the Built Environment. Information on best practice, testing laboratory services, acreditation etc.
- McCormack & Son Specifications
Paving and drainage specifications. Lots of detail, diagrams and photos. Highly recommended.
- Brick Development Association
This Trade Association site includes links to manufacturers of clay and calcium silicate bricks and clay pavers/paviors, technical publications, and the Brick Bulletin.
- Marshall's Installation Guide
Installation guides for: paving; setts & blocks; kerbs, channels and edging; street furniture; traffic management; brick; walling; land erosion control; inspection chambers; linear drainage systems.
The essential resource for precast concrete paving, flags and kerbs in the UK. Covers design, specification, construction and materials.
- Cress Water Ltd
Specialists in the design and installation of reed-beds, ponds and wetlands. An attractive and informative web site.
- The ETC Environment Guide
The Environment Technology Centre Guide To Pollution Control Technology
- Building Regulations Explanatory Booklet
An introduction to the Building Regulations. It is not a statement of the law but is intended to help you to understand the system.
- Local Authority Building Control
Each Local Authority in England and Wales (Unitary, District and London Boroughs in England and County and County Borough Councils in Wales) has a Building Control section. The Local Authority has a general duty to see that building work complies with the Building Regulations - except where it is formally under the control of an Approved Inspector.
Individual local authorities co-ordinate their services regionally and nationally (and provide a range of national approval schemes) via LABC Services. You can find out more about LABC Services through its web site.
- Approved Inspectors
Approved Inspectors are companies or individuals authorised under the Building Act 1984 to carry out building control work in England and Wales.
A list of approved inspectors can be viewed at the Association of Corporate Approved Inspectors (ACAI) web site.
- Construction Industry Council The Construction Industry Council (CIC) is responsible for deciding all applications for approved inspector status. You can find out more about the CIC's role (including how to apply to become an approved inspector) through its web site.
- Building Control Performance Standards
A DETR (now ODPM) document codifying existing best practice for Building Control.
- Building Design and Construction Services Directory
Information for architects, Building Services Engineers and Surveyors.
- Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA)
Includes a directory of members, and many links to conservation resources.
The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
The Chartered Institute of Building.
- QPA, the Quarry Product Association, of which Cardigan Sand & Gravel is an active member.
- MIA, the Mortar Industry Association.
- RIBA, the Royal Institute of British Architects.
- IStructE, the Institute of Structural Engineers.
- IHT, the Institution of Highways & Transportation.
- IHIE, Institute of Highway Incorporated Engineers.
- ICE, the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- the Institute of Quarrying, the Institute of Quarrying.
- RICS, the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
- CIOB, the Chartered Institute of Building.
- The Concrete Society. Includes a discussion forum on all aspects of concrete, as well as lists of material suppliers, contractors and engineers.
- RCB, the Ready-Mixed Concrete Bureau.
- Construction.co.uk. A cooperative effort by various construction research organisations, supported by the DTI.
- Construction Products Association. For manufacturers and suppliers of construction products.
- The Building Conservation Directory
A guide to UK-based specialist consultants, conservators and suppliers of products and services for the conservation of historic buildings. Includes a useful selection of articles covering such subjects as timber decay and the use of lime mortars, and contact details for all the main advisory bodies (the 'Organisations Directory') and all the main conservation courses and training programmes in the UK ('Courses and Training').
- Heritage Testing
Consulting Historic Buildings, Environmental, and Materials Scientists.
- Ty Mawr Lime Ltd
Suppliers of traditional building materials, including lime wash, earthen and dung daubs, natural pigments, reed board, etc. etc., based in Brecon.
- The Lime Centre: St. Astier Lime
Stockists of St Astier natural limes, used for the conservation and restoration of ecclesiastical buildings, based in Winchester.
- The Old House Store
Natural building materials, including St. Astier Limes, based in Henley-on-Thames.
- Mike Wye & Associates
Natural building materials, including lime putty, mortars and plasters; natural paints, waxes and varnishes; sheepswool, wood fibre and expanded clay insulation; limewashes and clay paints; cob and clay blocks and bricks; natural hydraulic lime and metastar; oak and chestnut laths and lintels. Based in Devon.
- English Heritage - Conservation
A section of the EH site that deals with grants, maintaining listed buildings and places of worship, statutory advice to local authorities, and a wealth of other information.
- English Heritage - Publications
A section of the EH site that offers publications on architectural conservation and technical guidance on issues such as building conservation.
News, events and contact details of the Welsh historic monuments executive agency.
The Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings is the largest, oldest and most technically expert national pressure group fighting to save old buildings from decay, demolition and damage.
- Hepworth, Concrete, drainage, plumbing products and composites products.
- Hoben International, Various sand products.
- Aggregate Industries, Aggregate producers.
- Hanson, Aggregate producers.
- Lafarge, Aggregate producers.
- Tarmac, Aggregate producers.
- RMC, Readymix Concrete.
- Castle Cement, Limes and cements.
- Blue Circle, Cement producers.
- Rugby Cement, Cement producers.
- New Civil Engineer plus
Online supplement to NCE magazine, including excellent directories (company directory, concrete yearbook, ground yearbook, water yearbook).
- Horseriding Maps
Maps especially for riders from Harvey the cartographers.
The equestrian advertiser's online version; includes excellent 'What's On' listings.
- American Medical Equestrian Association
Articles on the philosophy, principles, and application of safety of people in equestrian activities.
An excellent database of information, products and suppliers.
- Quiltknit Clothing
Excellent high performance no-nonsense knitwear for riders -- warm, water-wicking, snag resistant. We highly recommend it!
Disclaimer: Cardigan Sand & Gravel Co Ltd is not responsible for the contents or reliability of these linked web sites. The links are provided as a free and hopefully useful service. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time. If a link appears to be broken, or if you wish to suggest an additional link, please email firstname.lastname@example.org